If you're a parent, you know that finding the right nanny isn't always an easy task. It may be difficult to place your trust onto someone else, knowing that your children's safety and wellbeing is in their hands. If you're searching for a caretaker for your kids, be sure to check out these helpful tips:
- Create a "must-have" checklist: Hiring a nanny is much like dating. You want to make sure that your future employee clicks with your family, and also possesses your "must-have" attributes. For instance, some of the qualities that make a good nanny are honesty, intelligence, empathy and work ethic.
- Ensure your nanny has had a background check: You're going to want to make sure that whomever you choose to watch over your children is qualified to do so and doesn't have any blemishes on his or her record. To save you from the hassle of conducting a background check on your nanny yourself, register with a domestic agency to ensure that you have experienced candidates.
- Examine the way each candidate acts: How your nanny dresses, speaks and acts can tell you a lot about her. If you plan on meeting candidates, it is important that they are on time. Punctuality is an essential quality of a good caretaker. After all, you don't want your nanny to be late when watching your kids.
- Look for someone who can handle an emergency situation: When you're a parent you want to make sure your children are in the best hands. This is why it is important to look for a nanny with lengthy experience and knowledge about emergency care. Be sure that your nanny has been trained in first aid and knows CPR.
- Make sure your nanny has chemistry with your children: Chemistry isn't always easy to find, but it's essential that your nanny meshes well with your children. After all, they'll be the ones spending the most time with her (or him)! You're going to want a nanny that can have fun with your kids by playing games and doing arts and crafts, but who can also discipline them when needed.
- Recognize your parenting style: Before hiring a nanny, it is important to know what parenting style you have, whether it be strict or more laid back. Are you the type of parent who ensures that your children eat their vegetables every night, or do you let them bend the rules and have ice cream before dinner? "Continuity and consistency is high on the parenting playbook," writes Human Behavior expert and psychologist Dr. Gail Gross on The HuffingtonPost. Children need structure and consistent rules to develop security and competency. Therefore, it is very important that nanny follows your parenting style. This is a point that needs to be established prior to hiring a nanny."
For more tips on hiring a nanny, be sure to follow our blog. If you're in the market for a qualified nanny to watch over your children, register with Colonial Domestic Agency. We conduct background checks on all of our candidates to ensure that they are a perfect match for you and your family!