Today is Earth Day, which means it's a great time to educate the children you nanny for about the importance of recycling. What better way to teach kids than with a fun craft? We love the idea of creating an Earth banner out of coffee filters.
"Whether you have a budding environmentalist or astronomer this planet earth banner is a fun decoration to make and decorate with for Earth Day," writes blogger Allison McDonald of kid-friendly blog No Time for Flashcards. "My son loved this and just kept going and going!"
All you'll need is a few supplies, including coffee filters, blue and green food coloring, a pen, scissors, some party streamers, an eye dropper and tape. Once you have these materials, follow these easy steps:
- Begin by drawing circles on your coffee filters. You can use a circular object – such as the bottom of a can of breadcrumbs – to trace an outline, or you can opt to do this task free hand.
- Mix water and a generous amount of food coloring. Make a cup filled with green food coloring for the land and blue for the sea.
- Using eye drops, add color to the coffee filters. Be sure that the table is protected with plastic or a washable table cloth to prevent the food coloring mixture from leaking through.
- Once the creation has dried, cut the circles out and hang them on a streamer. They'll look like mini earths.
- After you've hung the streamers up, talk to the kids about the importance of protecting the environment. Just like the craft they just made, the earth is very fragile!
As you can see, being a nanny can be both fun and rewarding. If you're looking for a new job within the industry, be sure to register with Colonial Domestic Agency!