Being a nanny is certainly a fun-filled job, especially in the summer! After all, what other position would allow you to get paid for playing outside? If you're a nanny, you know that kids don't always have the longest attention spans, which is why it's important to think outside of the box when entertaining them. If you need help thinking of summertime activities, take a look at some of these helpful suggestions.
- Bring the fun indoors: California summers can get hot, and we all know that extreme heat can be harmful for young children. On super hot days, bring the children you watch over to the local library. Have each child select their favorite book and take turns reading out loud. Many libraries may also offer specialized arts & crafts classes and story times during the summer. Or, you can always opt to take them to an indoor museum. Not only do museums have air conditioning, they're also very educational! From a science museum to an aquarium, the opportunities are endless!
- Chill out: "Yoga's hot for tots these days," writes a blogger for What to Expect. "Most classes geared for little ones are of the mommy-and-me [or nanny-and-me] variety, so kids' yoga can be an especially perfect summer toddler activity: It will not only give you both something to do, it will also be a great way for both of you to chill out during the (downward) dog days ahead."
- Cool off at the pool or beach: During the dog days of summer, sometimes it's best to jump in the ocean or cool pool. Make sure that the children you nanny for know how to swim before going on this adventure. It may even be beneficial for you to sign up for CPR and other safety classes so that you're prepared if an accident happens. These certifications will certainly make you a more marketable employee. As another safety measure, be sure that you're equipped with plenty of sunscreen.
- Go out for frozen yogurt: If the children you nanny for are on their best behavior, offer to treat them to frozen yogurt. In addition to being delicious, this snack can also be nutritious when topped with fresh fruit and other healthy toppings. It's a treat both you and the little ones can enjoy!
- Have a Teddy bear picnic: Who doesn't love picnics? To make this outdoor activity even more fun, allow the children you nanny for to bring their favorite stuffed animal along – creating a Teddy bear picnic. Additionally, be sure to pack plenty of healthy snacks – including carrot sticks, yogurt or sliced apples. This way, the kids will realize that eating healthy can be quite fun!
- Host a lemonade stand: If the children that you nanny for live in a safe neighborhood, whip up some tasty lemonade or iced tea and start your own "business" together. This is a great way for them to interact with other children in their neighborhood. Additionally, a lemonade stand helps teach children the value of a dollar. After all, it's never too early to foster an entrepreneurial spirit!
As you can see, being a nanny is a fun way to showcase your creativity. If you're looking for a new job in the field, be sure to register with Colonial Domestic Agency! We can match you with a family who will truly appreciate your skills.